This has to be my favorite chicken dish, and probably the most asked for recipe! I made it for friends during Iftar last year and I still hear about it. Parents if you have picky eaters, give this recipe a shot, your kids might actually love it! Just like the name suggests, this is a chicken loaf (a play on meat loaf). It involves ground chicken, molded, stuffed and cooked…and my mouth waters every time I think about it. You won’t regret making this recipe, that’s for sure! Bare in mind that the measurements for the spices are approximate, and you can add more or less of any spice depending on your tastes and preferences!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 1 medium chicken loaf (~6-8 pieces)
- 1 chicken breast
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1.5 tbsp canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp white pepper (or to taste)
- 2 tsp paprika (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1 cup mozarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup frozen veggie mix (optional)
- Place the chicken breast into a food processor and process until well ground.
- Add 1/4 cup bread crumbs, oil, egg, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and salt, and process until well mixed!
- Spread 1 cup of bread crumbs onto a flat surface, and scoop the ground chicken mixture onto it. Flatten into a long oval shape
Tip: Wet hands before working with chicken to help keep it from sticking!
- Once flattened, add frozen veggies (corn, carrots, peas, broccoli, whatever you’d like!), salsa and then top with cheese.
Tip: I find adding the salsa on top (like the photo) makes it harder to seal the loaf, so make sure the cheese is on top!
- Fold both sides of the chicken loaf over each other (length wise) and pinch to seal closed along middle and ends
- Make sure all sides are covered well with bread crumbs, and further mold into a loaf like shape with hands.
- Brush top of chicken loaf with oil, transfer onto cooking sheet (slide over if working on cutting board/wax paper)
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, serve and enjoy!Variation: Try adding Tandoori spices to the loaf to make it a Tandoori Chicken Loaf! Mine turned out delicious 🙂